Just look at this great old mirror frame.
I know because the mirror was dated 1965.
They were likely on one of those wonderful, well made French Provincial triple dressers.
I have a pair of these frames ... mirrors have been removed.
Solid oak ... typical painted - antiquing stain - with black specks and added resin trim for the style of that period.
But oops ... one is missing the bloom on one end ...
Well, I can fix that !
I was surprised it was still good.
I don't know if this product is still being made.
Using the second frame where this part was good; I made a mold. I got a little messy with too much on the side. Just easy to cut that off when it is set. I slid a plastic chopping sheet under it for protection.
I just kept painting 'mold-it' on until I felt it was thick enough ... let it dry and then peeled it off. Some of the paint on the bloom came off in the mold, but that did not matter.
I nestled the mold in a bed of un-sanded grout so it would hold its shape when I poured the casting material.
Flower, fine sand or powder can be used too.
Next I used "Tough as Nails" powdered wood filler that you mix with water. It was perfect and made a very strong cast.
I was able to trim and sand it without breaking.
Now this is a fairly small piece.
I made several attempts to match the original color, but did not have very good luck.
You will never guess what I did with these mirror frames.
Please come back to see ... Remodel of master bath ... part 2 (coming soon)
Check out these related blogs to see more of the master bath makeover.
Remodel of master bath ... part 2 (coming soon)
Thanks for stopping by.
Vintage Inspiration Party #210
Cozy Little House Tweak It Tuesday
Dwellings-the heart of your home
Amaze Me Monday #133
Linking to: Vintage Charm Linky Party #1
Hostess:Sharon's Blog / Kathleen's Blog / Cecilia's Blog / Diana's Blog