NO ... I did not take a hammer to it, but I sure wanted to!
I did "break-it-up" by camouflage ... or hiding part of it.
I had bought two nice vintage mirrors with plans to remove the 8' mirror and hang these over the sinks in the vanity.
(check the link below to see the "fix" of these mirrors)
Mr. Z. objected; stating that he liked the large mirror.
We would have had to hire someone the take the mirrors down and dispose of them which would be very costly.
Size of this vanity area of the master bath is about 5' wide x 14' long plus the built in wall to wall storage cabinet at the end. One 8' vanity with mirror and one 5' vanity with mirror.
That is a lot of reflections in one small room.
Love my new crock jug that I just bought at an Estate sale, $8.50, so I don't mind seeing more of it in the mirror images. Color was a good match with the mirror frames.
So much for all of that ... I know you are wanting to know how I "broke up" the large mirror.
My inspiration was to frame the mirror and build a cabinet in the middle but ... just not able to make that happen just now with all the other expense of this total master bath remodel.
So the next best thing was to "break-up" the expanse of the mirror ...
I removed the mirror from each frame and hung just the frame on each end of the 8' mirror.
Images of the things across the room make this a confusing photo and you can see me trying to hide behind the Aloe plant.
This left 43" of mirror between the frames.
To "tie" them together, I hung a salvaged piece from an old piece of furniture (or something) above the mirror between the two frames. Almost a perfect fit. I had this piece forever and surprised I found all the parts to it. Once restored, painted and antiqued, it matched pretty good.
Florescent lighting makes the color look different and hard to get good pictures.
This gave the mirror the bulk that it needed to balance out with the large cabinet below.
The frames came just over the top of the mirror and I made a spacer to make that part of the wall level with the mirror and hung them on the wall above the mirror.
With the first trial run, I sat a small cabinet on the counter between the mirrors.
I really need this to keep some stuff off the counter.
It was the bonnet box part of a vintage vanity/dresser and was just what I needed there, but after a week or so, decided it was too big, so back to the guest bedroom it went. Someday, I will find the perfect piece for this spot; build one or I might try this piece there again.
Then I brought my beautiful Aloe plant inside and it helps to "break-up" that middle section of the mirror just a little. I am sure I will have to put it back outside because there is no natural light in this room.
the other side of the room: the sliding or barn door style ...
The toilet/shower room and closet remodel was completed late last year.(see related link below)
Antique door knocker on the sliding door in case it is needed. LOL, just needed something to add to the door, so he got used.
Plans for this wall space is still undecided.
Considering doing a tree limb stencil in this section.
Using jade, teal colors in this room, so the color of this piece will change if it stays.
I won't bore you with details of the products I used ... just check the list at the end of this post.
door (with the tacky mirror) to the shower/toilet room is GONE !
old wooden towel bars are GONE !
mess from the closet remodel is OVER too.
I removed the wallpaper, primed and sealed the walls.
This little tool (bottom right) is a must-have if you plan to remove wallpaper.
I hired a friend to texture and paint.
She hand troweled the texture which is free form and looked like puffy clouds when drying.
Behr Premium Plus "Spanish Sand" interior satin enamel paint and primer in one.
Mirrors from ReStore-Habitat for Humanity $5.00 each
Hairdryer to heat glue while pulling wallpaper.
Vinegar water to dampen wall paper backing paper and wash down wall. Applied with a wide brush, a little at a time.
Zinsser paper scraper ... cost about $7.00.
Mine was thrifted for .25¢.
Sliding door hardware ... Home Depot $150.00
Door ... thrifted and restored ... check out the blog post on that.
Thanks for sticking with me for this long post. Hope you found something of interest here.
Linking to: DIY by Design: Fall into Fall party 238
The Dedicated House Make It pretty Monday week 155
Coastal Charm Show & Share No. 285
Knick of Time Vintage Inspiration Party #210
Funky Junk Interiors Upcycled Link Party Repurposed
Vintage Charm Party #2